The research center is the main scientific division of RSE "Kazhydromet", whose tasks are:
1. Forecast of fluctuations and future climate changes in Kazakhstan based on regional and global climate models;
2. Adaptation of numerical hydrological models for predicting the flow of lowland and mountain rivers in Kazakhstan during high water and floods;
3. Development of methods for forecasting the flow of lowland and mountain rivers, water inflow to reservoirs and inland reservoirs;
4. assessment of surface water resources in water management basins;
5. Development of a methodological approach to optimizing the hydrometeorological network of Kazakhstan;
6. Adaptation of numerical hydrodynamic models for the Caspian sea and development of marine forecasting methods;
7. Issue of operational marine forecasts and forecasts of fluctuations in the level surface of the Kazakh part of the Caspian sea and reviews of the ice situation in the Caspian sea.
The Research center consists of 4 departments:
The Department of hydrometeorological research of the Caspian sea develops methods of marine forecasts and regulatory documents, methodological guidelines for the organization and maintenance of hydrometeorological monitoring of the Kazakhstan sector of the Caspian sea, issues short - and medium-term, specialized marine forecasts, as well as long-term forecasts of fluctuations in the level surface of the Caspian sea, reviews of run-up phenomena and ice conditions in the Caspian sea, performs scientific research on hydrometeorological problems of the Caspian sea and the Caspian region.
The Department of climate research studies the climate of Kazakhstan and climate-forming factors in order to improve long-term forecasts, performs work on forecasting fluctuations and future climate changes in Kazakhstan based on regional and global climate models about expected climate conditions, assesses the vulnerability of ecosystems, economy, population, state institutions and infrastructure of the state in relation to climate change and existing opportunities for adaptation to them.
The Department of meteorological research and calculations develops methods for predicting crop yields in the regional and district sections, with the combined use of surface data with remote sensing Data, conducts work on modeling snow accumulation and snowmelt processes, develops and implements methods for predicting adverse weather conditions in cities of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
The Department of modeling of hydrological processes and hydrological calculations adapts and implements numerical hydrological models to improve the release of forecasts of the flow and volume of rivers in Kazakhstan, issues Advisory forecasts for inflows to the reservoirs of buktyrma, Shulbi, Bestobe, conducts hydrological studies of the observed and natural flow of the main river basins and their sections.